Monday, November 07, 2005

EA GAMES AND NVIDIA PLOT

I'm angry! I got Battlefield2, which I was looking forward to, and now I cannot play it. And worse, the reason I cannot play it is because I have an unsupported video card!

What exactly does unsupported mean in this case? Does this mean my video card is an ancient derelict, a bloated legacy maintained for reasons of nostalgia? No. What this means is that the game manufacturer was too lazy to make a major release work with slightly older video cards. EA and nVidia actually have a relationship though, and there is talk on the internet that nVidia encouraged EAs behavior in order to increase video card sales. Considering though, that older ATI cards work in BF2 than nVidia cards, I think nVidia's hard work has shown me that my next video card purcase needs to be an ATI. Afterall, nVidia's advertising dollars do go to EA, and there was a handy little pamphlet in the game stating "best performance on nVidia" or some such tripe.

I have been an avid nVidia fanatic for several years, building computers with nVidia cards and purchasing them for myself. I'm behind on my latest video card update, I'll admit, but I WILL NOT BE FORCED! Nvidia has abandoned some of its most die-hard fans. They may upgrade less frequently, but they still comprise a fair portion of their sales.

Bottom line, nVidia needs to wake up and leverage their advertising dollars to patch BF2 to work on their older cards, and continue to push game manufacturers to support their cards, even if the game has to be run at a low resolution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home