Thursday, July 28, 2005

Where IT Dares

In IT, we know that a common misconception of the end-user is that we actively search for issues to correct. We, in fact, do not. What we do is sit perched, like an eagle, high up in our cubicle, reading interesting articles and writing blog entries until we see smoke out of the corner of our eye. At this time, we unfurl our IT wings and soar down to crap the problem out. This has been the way of IT since the beginning of time.

It should then be understood that I get upset when asked to search for problems. If you know there's a problem, tell me about it and I'll fix it. I do not want to be told that there's a problem somewhere in the cast stretches of my domain. If you know there's a problem, then you know where. Flying around, under the cubicle canopy, looking for the dying embers of campfires to crap on them is not a productive use of my time. Only 1 in 1000 campfires cause even a minor inferno and I am but one humble tech. Besides, your plumber doesn't come looking for trouble. You wouldn't tell a city worker to go find the watermain break. There are indicators for these issues that we use to center on them. One such ripple for me is the high-pitched screech made by the cubicle caribou when they don't get their way.

1 Comments:

Blogger CAD Monkey said...

"Cubicle Caribou." Classic. Do caribou shriek? Must be a horrifying sound...

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home