Monday, February 14, 2005

Star Trek the Musical

I debated about publishing this topic in this blog, thinking that perhaps it fell outside the scope, but then it was pointed out to me that this is an IT blog and that my post had to do with Star Trek. Then I realized that it's my blog and I'll do whatever I want, and you'll live with it, just like at work.

I don't like musicals and I don't like Star Trek...... I know, IT guys should all love Star Trek, but I've grown bitter over the years of stupid plot lines, time travel that doesn't make sense, and learning that although other species are smarter, stronger, holier, nicer, and prettier than humans, there's just something "special" about our species. I get sick of aliens speaking of how humans "are a curious species" or a "noble species" or the like.

That being said, it should be obvious why I like to use Star Trek the Musical as an example of how stupid musicals are. It would go something like this:




Sulu(turning around in his chair): Captain, there are Klingons off the starboard bow!
Everyone(singing): Klingons! Klingons! Klingons!
We've got Klingons off the starboard bow, ready to shoot, what a hoot! I wish I could put this show on mute! Cause musicals suck so bad!
Captain Kirk: Raise shields! Prepare to launch photon torpedos and fire phasers.
Spock: Humans like the PH, that's why both your weapons have it in them.
Everyone: PH! PH! PH! We like the fffff in PH. We like to say fffff when it doesn't look like fffff. We know it's phuturiffic!

As is clearly displayed here, musicals are dumb (especially so when I write them). Musicals do one of two things to make music, they either sing while "action" takes place, or they stop the play altogether to sing about one thing. West Side Story is a great example of the latter. How long do those two gang members circle around each other singing about slicing the other one up?

I know that Mrs. ITFury might hate me for this, but I hated Muolin Rouge with a passion. They not only did both methods of throwing a song in there, but every song was one we all knew, so it wasn't like the next line was ever a suprprise. Basically, they made a musical (which I don't like), then they took out the one thing I've always thought musicals had.....originality. If you liked Moulin Rouge, then you must think coulages are the finest form of art because that's all it was; other people's work hacked up and pieced together to make something else.

I understand different tastes and all that, so try not to be offended. As I said, Mrs. ITFury liked Moulin Rouge, and I would sooner kiss an electrical socket than offend her and her Iron Frying Pan of Doom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home