Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Evil Within

Not all the horrors that well up in IT come from users. There are other types of evils, such as the evils that are born innately into the field; like users, free food buffet regrets, and offices full of useless paraphernalia acquired from multiple trade shows. Then there are the evils that other IT professionals bring into the business like help desks, blocked websites, Spyware, and Microsoft. These I find to be almost as annoying as users, but then again, if there were no users, help desks wouldn't be necessary, blocked websites wouldn't matter, Spyware would never get installed, and even Microsoft might become slightly more tolerable.

Still, one cannot forgive the inherent flaw in hiring people to do a machine's work. Worse, people specialize in the computer field and become good at only one or two things, unless of course they work at my company's corporate headquarters, then they become good at nothing. I usually make a couple calls a week to corporate for issues that require rights they have blocked me from or in order to see if they've already experienced and found a fix for a problem that one of my users is having. Those calls usually go something like this:

Helpdesk Dolt: Yeah?
Me: Yes, to whom am I speaking?
Helpdesk Dolt: This is Company A.
Me: OK. What is your name?
Helpdesk Dolt: I'm Dolt #1
Me: OK Dolt #1, I'm the tech here at location XXX. I installed PCL6 drivers for printer ABJ onto our server and now the spooler service errors out constantly. I want to replace the driver, but I do not have rights to add drivers to the server. Can you add the driver for me so that I can fix this issue?
Helpdesk Dolt: OK. Click on Start, then Settings....
Me: You want me to go into the printer properties?
Helpdesk Dolt: Yeah. So then click Printers. Then right-click on.....
Me: I'm in the Properties already.
Helpdesk Dolt: OK. Now I need you to read to me which driver version you have.
Me: I already told you that I installed the PCL6 driver.
Helpdesk Dolt: OK. That's the driver we want you to have.
Me: But it's erroring out the spooler!
Helpdesk Dolt: Oh. I guess you need to use the PCL5e driver then.
Me: Yes! Can you install it for me please?
Helpdesk Dolt: Um. I don't know how to do that.
Me: Arg! Evolution. Where are you?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home