Thursday, January 06, 2005

Fury Summed Up

Well, here I am. This will be my uncreative outlet(IT guys aren't creative) for all those frustrating work-related issues that leave me believing that evolution isn't selective enough. I've been in IT for about 10 years now, and sit at my desk anxiously awaiting the next issue. That's right. I'm that guy who magically appears to fix your computer problem, who somehow, half the time, before you speak, knows exactly what is wrong and fixes it in a few keystrokes. I am an IT God. Now is a good time to pull out your ITFury ® worshipping kit, complete with ITFury ® altar, sacrificial knife, and KFC coupons.

I do my job, and I'm actually good at it. IT is not what most people think. There are two schools of thought on IT people. The first is that IT is a glamorous job where people wear suits and ties and punch two keys on the keyboard to launch shuttles and solve world hunger. The second is that IT is full of individuals with no people skills, pocket protectors, and taped glasses who all smell like elementary school bathroom soap. In truth, IT is cuddled somewhere between the two, like an anus between butt cheeks. While the two visions have some body to them, the truth has only plunging depths, and nothing good ever comes from those depths.

IT is a frustrating industry. My job is to fix things, and I love fixing things. People often ask me for help, and I love helping people.....smart people at least. One problem is that people ask me how to use their software(design professionals asking about Photoshop for instance). This is akin to a Nascar driver asking a mechanic for driving tips. I fix things, I do not use them. Another problem is that people are generally stupid. If I ask someone to look at the router, and they don't know what a router is or looks like, I don't expect them to tell me that they've found it. If someone asks me what happened to their machine, I will tell them, and when I ask them if they understand, they will reply with a blank, eye-glazed stare. I have actually taught several people computer useage basics in the last couple years. This is 2005 people! If you can't use a computer, you're not even fit to say "May I take your order!"

On a regular basis my job consists of fixing problems caused by user's stupidity. I explain to the lemmings(a friendly term for stupid users) what they did and how to avoid it. I then promptly get called back to fix the same issue. I fix computers, not people.

1 Comments:

Blogger CAD Monkey said...

Ah yes, it's Vent-o-Licious! You have a promising beginning, and CAD Monkey will hook you up with the rest...

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home